Here are some quick tips to help you write a cover letter to accompany your resume.
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Write a tailored cover letter for each job to which you are applying.
- Start by expressing your interest in the job.
- Employers like to know where you heard about the job, so mention it.
- State what you can do for the company.
- Summarize and highlight your skills, qualifications and major accomplishments related to the job, but don't simply reiterate your resume.
- Most importantly, explain why your qualifications and the job requirements are a good match.
- Start wrapping it up by stating when you'll be available for work.
- State the best time and place the recipient can reach you.
- Mention that your resume is enclosed or attached.
- Offer to provide more information, work samples and references.
- Indicate that you'd like an interview in person or by phone.
- Thank the recipient for his or her time and consideration.
- Say that you look forward to hearing from the recipient.
- Proofread your cover letter and make corrections.
- Type your cover letter in a standard business format.
- Keep it brief.
- Write your cover letter in the active voice, and use action verbs such as implemented and developed.
More How To's from your Guide To Job Searching: Technical
~ J. Steven Niznik