Here are some quick tips to help you prepare your references, so they say the right things.
Time Required: N/A
- Send your references a copy of your current résumé and cover letter, so they know what information you are submitting to your potential employers.
- Refresh their memories with details of your skills, work habits and accomplishments.
- Provide details of the jobs for which you've applied, so they can picture you in the roles.
- Give your references a list of the types of questions reference checkers might ask.
- The idea is not to tell them what to say, but rather to guide and equip them in advance, so you all tell the same story.
- It gives you a measure of control over what they say, that you would not have otherwise.
- Ask your references to write recommendation letters. It might be easier and save them from repeated contact.