1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.



Top Related Searches

What Legal Recourse do I have for Employment-Related Defamation?

Each state has its own laws. But generally speaking, you can likely sue if an employer issues a false statement that hurts your career and you can prove it. Such legal action is typically called a defamation lawsuit. Your case will be stronger if you can prove that your employer acted with malice, intentionally crafting a lie designed to hurt your career.

For example, if your former employer intentionally lies to cause you to lose a job opportunity, you can likely win a defamation lawsuit if you can prove it was a malicious lie, and you suffered the loss of a job opportunity as a direct result.

But a statement can be so defamatory, that you might win a defamation lawsuit without proving that the statement harmed your career. In legal jargon, such statements are called defamation per se. Examples are false accusations of serious sexual misconduct or criminal misbehavior.

If your employer intentionally defames you to justify firing you, you might be able to sue for wrongful termination in violation of public policy.

If you think an employer has intentionally defamed your character, consider consulting with an attorney to file a defamation lawsuit. Free attorney referral services will help you find an attorney who specializes in this matter.

Next Page > Is it Defamation if an Employer States the Truth about Me?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.