Using LinkedIn to Find A New Job:
A combination job search site and great networking tool LinkedIn should be a part of any job search. As a recruiter, LinkedIn is often my first stop for candidate searching.
- Post a bio and search the job listings to get imediate access to potential openings.
- As a networking tool, LinkedIn is best used to look up previous co-workers, college alumni, or someone that works in a company you would like to join. Use those contacts to get job leads and a foot in the door.
- Use lots of keywords in your profile description. Recruiters and hiring managers search LinkedIn directly and indirectly (through search engines) by keywords.
- Search for groups to join, which will connect you with even more contacts. There are many groups based around professional interests, former employers and school alumni associations.
- Spell check your profile. I cannot count how many spelling errors I have seen in LinkedIn profiles!
- There is a small fee for upgraded features, including upgraded email contact.